Thursday, May 6, 2010

Finding Your Strengths-"Pinch Me, Am I Dreaming?"

I've recently wiped the dust off of my book, "Strengths Finder" and revisited the topic of strengths.  Gallup's "Father of Strengths Psychology" Donald Clifton conducted over 40 years of research into millions of peoples lives to understand what made them successful.  Contrary to our typical way of developing people-- sending them to classes to improve their weaknesses, the Strengths philosophy concludes that it is much more effective to focus on developing ones strengths rather than ones weakness.  I certainly believe this research has merit.  Looking back at my life I can make a list (quite large) of my weaknesses.  And no matter how many times I try to develop those weaknesses, it seems my natural tendency is to return to the way I've always done things... I am not saying that people cannot change, but I am saying that if I were to spend more time developing my strengths I would have a greater capacity to maximize them.  I like the quote in the Strengths Finder 2.0 book, that may be a little hard to swallow for most; "You cannot be anything you want to be--but you can be a lot more of who you already are." I think the romantic part of us would like to believe that we can be whatever we want.  That is what we teach our children isn't it? I think our time is better spent finding out what makes them tick, what drives them, what they are really naturally talented at, and encourage and develop those strengths within them.  And do the same for ourselves.  My top 5 strengths are: Activator, Significance, Woo (Winning Others Over), Communication, and Strategic.  I must say, when I am in an environment where I get to use these strengths, I excel.  I feel alive. I LOVE it!  And when I am not, it is quite painful.  Which takes me back to my theory of pain.  I am motivated to change when I am in pain...when I am uncomfortable.  Pain has become a friend of mine.  Learn to listen to it.  Don't ignore it.  Don't surrender to it.  But let it direct you to a place where you can excel and live fully!  Pain does have a way of reminding us we are alive does it not?  "Pinch me, am I Dreaming?"

No comments:

Post a Comment