Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day is Overrated

Mother's Day.  Can I say it?  I hated it.  Said.

Maybe I have't always felt this way, but I certainly felt it this year.  It felt so forced and awkward.  I feel like everyone is trying too hard to obligate themselves to being extra nice.   It isn't natural.  Maybe because mothering itself has never come natural to me.  I mean I certainly don't fit the typical mother stereotype.  I am not the cook, not the primary house cleaner, I hate shopping for groceries and clothes, and the only reason I pack my kids lunch is because I have to help Josh gain 17 pounds in the next three months-(It's the Crohn's).  So a typical mother gets the day off from cooking...ummm that is everyday for me.  So to feel less guilty about the holiday, I spent the day cooking.

I did get beautiful flowers and a great card from the girls.  My son even filled up his pill case for the week.  I have to admit that I enjoyed those things.  I guess I don't want my kids to buy into the lie that they can be a blessing to someone else when the Hallmark rack demands it.

So this week, think about ways you can bless someone else randomly.  When it's not their birthday, not father's day, not anything particularly special day....I bet you will find the moment to be all the more meaningful.  Besides, I can't think of a better way to spend your time, than reflecting on the people who surround you and what a blessing they are to be in your life every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment